Learn how to protect your computer from viruses, trojans and other malware.
Malware is a general term given to a wide variety of malicious software. Some malware simply slows down your computer. Other malware takes control of your computer, using it to do things like attack other computers or send spam from your computer. Other malware may track what web sites you visit or try to steal your passwords or credit card information.
Malware affects both Windows and Mac operating systems, so if your computer or mobile device is connecting to the Internet at any time, you need to be concerned about malware.
Keeping your computer free from malware takes a combination of good anti-malware software protections and savvy surfing of the internet.
- Protecting Yourself from Malware - A basic overview of malware and steps to take to protect your computer.
- Updates for your Computer - The overwhelming majority of malware will be stopped if your computer has the latest system and software updates installed.
- Windows Antivirus - If your computer runs on Windows, here is where you can get free antivirus software.
- Mac Antivirus - Macs needs antivirus software too. If you have a University of Illinois NetID you can get free Mac antivirus software.
- Malware Removal - If your computer is already infected with malware, we have software that may be able to help you.