Thankfully, as more people have become concerned about computer security, the software makers responded by making it easier to set up basic defenses on personal computers. In fact, many personal computers now ship with some basic computer security measures already turned on. In general, your computer should have all updates and patches installed. It should be running current antivirus and anti-malware software. And your computer should have its firewall turned on.
These basic protections will keep you safe from most attacks online. However, do keep in mind that even some of the best technical protections can often be thwarted by a human's bad decisions. Therefore, it's important not only to learn technical protections for your computer, but to learn how to spot and avoid scams and threats online.
Securing your computer basics
- Download and install updates and patches
- Install and run security software
- Make sure your computer's firewall is turned on
- Learn how to physically protect your laptop
- Register your computer with CITES Security
- Clean up old software and files